|County clerks military amendments 09-21-10.pdf||37.23 KB|
As you are now aware, due to the federal MOVE Act consent decree, official ballots must be distributed to military and overseas electors by October 1, 2010. As such, canvass procedures for the September 2010 Partisan Primary are being accelerated. This means that the Military Amendment procedures must be completed by close of business on Wednesday, September 22nd.
Military absentee ballots must be accepted until close of business, September 21, 2010, as long as they are postmarked by Election Day. The GAB Canvass Reporting System must be updated with a Military Amendment from each county clerk. Each county must complete a Military Amendment even if there are no late Military Ballots to be counted, or they have already been included in the original canvass results.
The Government Accountability Board may have certified your original results in the Canvass System in order to allow the Military Amendment process to begin. Some counties may still need to make corrections or add data. Any necessary changes can be done from the Military Amendment results. The canvass must be re-printed, AFTER your last update time and signed by your Board of Canvassers.
To make the military amendment:
1. Sign into the Government Accountability Board Canvass Reporting System.
2. Under the 2010 Partisan Primary, click on your county and make any changes or additions. This would include all ballots that are received. If there are no changes or additions, please move on to step 3.
3. Go back to the 2010 Partisan Primary and click on the verify button.
4. Enter a comment in the comment section to indicate whether you made changes or not.
a. For those that have entered changes in the data:
i. “I have made changes to the data that was previously entered in the canvass reporting system. These changes reflect those ballots that have been received by military voters within the statutory deadline.”
ii. Optional addition, if applicable: “Some changes have been made to the results. This is an update to the original canvass that was previously submitted.”
b. For those that did not have any changes in the data:
i. “There are no additional votes that need to be added to the canvass that was previously submitted. There were no additional ballots submitted by military voters.”
5. For those that have made any changes, please print the Canvass Certification report (in it’s entirety), have it signed by your three member board of canvass, and send it to the GAB by UPS. You may use the G.A.B. UPS account, numbered 7AY104.
NOTE: The hard copy time stamp must be after your latest update time. If you record another update time after you have printed, you will have to print the report again.
6. For those that have not made any changes, you do not need to mail the report to us, but you may print it for your records.
G.A.B. staff will be contacting you on Wednesday morning to assist you in taking this next step. For counties that do not have a recount, this will be your final step in the Canvass Reporting System. If you have questions in the meantime, please contact our Help Desk at 608-261-2028.
We appreciate your patience and your continuing cooperation as, together, we make our best collective effort to meet the tight deadlines imposed by the federal consent decree.
cc: Kevin J. Kennedy
Director and General Counsel
Government Accountability Board